For more than 50 years, Ortofon has been designing and manufacturing Moving Magnet cartridges. Along with our well-regarded Moving Coil cartridges, Moving Magnet models have established a good reputation among music lovers and Hi-Fi enthusiasts the world over.
The new Ortofon OM 5 series encompasses three basic cartridges: OM 5S, OM 5E and Super OM 5E.
- The series is the lowest-mass range of moving magnet cartridges offered by Ortofon.
- The OM cartridges bodies have been designed to provide easy mounting and alignment on both top mount and bottom mount headshells.
- The OM 5 Series provides excellent compatibility when used in an assortment of playback systems and with a wide variety of phono preamps.
THE OM 5S IS A MOVING MAGNET CARTRIDGE FOR GENERAL PURPOSE APPLICATION
If your tonearm has a standard headshell or a cartridge mount, then step up to optimal sound reproduction with OM’s. A glance at anyone of these cartridges will reveal Ortofon’s answer to perfect tonearm matching. Ingeniously tucked into the top of the mounting bracket is a tiny, removable weight-plate.
If your tonearm is an standard tonearm, just leave the weight-plate. If your tonearm is one of the low mass types, then simply remove the weight. The mass of your OM cartridge is now a mere 2.5 g.
STYLI TYPES AND INTERCHANGEABILITY
By adopting a wide range of replacement styli, the OM 5 Series can provide an optimum match for your home system, application and budget.
In the development of OM cartridges, a major objective was to provide the music lover with the opportunity to optimize sound reproduction without having to replace the entire cartridge. Instead of being merely intended for replacement purposes following wear or damage, the OM 5 Series allows you to step up to better sound by simply upgrading the stylus.
- Output voltage at 1000 Hz, 5cm/sec. – 4.5 mV
- Channel balance at 1 kHz – 2 dB
- Channel separation at 1 kHz – 20 dB
- Channel separation at 15 kHz – 12 dB
- Frequency range at – 3dB – 20-20.000 Hz
- Frequency response – 20-22.000 Hz
- Tracking ability at 315Hz at recommended tracking force * – 60 µm
- Compliance, dynamic, lateral – 20 µm/mN
- Stylus type – Spherical
- Stylus tip radius – R 18 µm
- Tracking force range – 1.5-2.0 g 15-20 mN
- Tracking force, recommended – 1.75 g 17.5 mN
- Tracking angle – 20°
- * Typical value
- Internal impedance, DC resistance – 750 Ohm
- Internal inductance – 450 mH
- Recommended load resistance – 47 kOhm
- Recommended load capacitance – 200-500 pF
- Cartridge colour, body/stylus – Black/Black
- Cartridge weight incl. extra weight – 5 g
- Cartridge weight excl. extra weight – 2.5 g
- Replacement stylus unit – Stylus 5S